Polis was the representative for Colorado’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2009 to 2018.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
In 2015 Polis was investigated for official endorsement of commercial products. The House Committee on Ethics concluded that no action was needed.
|Dec. 14, 2015||House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended that the Committee on Ethics further review the allegation|
|Dec. 14, 2015||House Committee on Ethics concluded that no action was needed|
Read our 2018 Report Card for Polis.
Polis is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Polis sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Polis was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6831 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 35 West Main Street in Frisco, Colorado, as the “Patrick E. Mahany, Jr., Post Office ...
- H.R. 2337 (113th): Lake Hill Administrative Site Affordable Housing Act
- H.R. 643 (112th): Sugar Loaf Fire Protection District Land Exchange Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Polis sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Polis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7309: To authorize the Every Word We Utter Monument to establish a commemorative work ...
- H.Res. 1120 (115th): Expressing support for designation of the week of October 4, 2018, through ...
- H.R. 6831 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 6832: Safe Helicopters Now Act
- H.R. 6352 (115th): Know Before You Owe Private Education Loan Act of 2018
- H.R. 5928 (115th): Students Over Special Interests Act
- H.R. 5767 (115th): Teachers Are Leaders Act
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2018, Polis missed 458 of 7,000 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: