Our unique analysis of the bills Altmire sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Altmire is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Altmire was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5954 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 320 7th Street in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, as the “Sergeant Leslie H. Sabo, Jr. Post ...
- H.R. 2965 (111th): Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010
- H.R. 987 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 601 8th Street in Freedom, Pennsylvania, as the “John Scott Challis, Jr. Post Office”.
- H.R. 4253 (110th): Military Reservist and Veteran Small Business Reauthorization and Opportunity Act of 2008
- H.R. 1434 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 896 Pittsburgh Street in Springdale, Pennsylvania, as the “Rachel Carson Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Altmire sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (27%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Health (12%) Commerce (11%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Education (11%) Energy (8%) Labor and Employment (8%)
Some of Altmire’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5996 (112th): Mental Health First Aid Higher Education Act of 2012
- H.R. 5954 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 4642 (112th): To reduce temporarily the duty on Mesamoll.
- H.R. 4634 (112th): To extend the suspension of duty on 2,3-Dichloronitrobenzene.
- H.R. 4638 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on p-Nitrotoluene.
- H.R. 4641 (112th): To extend the suspension of duty on Iminodisuccinate.
- H.R. 4640 (112th): To extend the suspension of duty on 2-Phenylphenol.
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2013, Altmire missed 11 of 5,137 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills