Read our 2016 Report Card for Chaffetz.
Our unique analysis of the bills Chaffetz has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Chaffetz is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Jason Chaffetz sits on the following committees:
- Chairman, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
Chaffetz was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6450 (114th): Inspector General Empowerment Act of 2016
- H.R. 6302 (114th): Overtime Pay for Protective Services Act of 2016
- H.R. 5790 (114th): Federal Bureau of Investigation Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2016
- H.R. 255 (113th): To amend certain definitions contained in the Provo River Project Transfer Act for purposes of clarifying certain property descriptions, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 251 (113th): South Utah Valley Electric Conveyance Act
- H.R. 254 (113th): Bonneville Unit Clean Hydropower Facilitation Act
- H.R. 3547 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 936 South 250 East in Provo, Utah, as the “Rex E. Lee Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Chaffetz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (32%) Crime and Law Enforcement (20%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Taxation (10%) International Affairs (7%) Immigration (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (4%) Economics and Public Finance (4%)
Some of Chaffetz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 222: Expressing support for designation of May 5, 2017, as “National Day of Awareness ...
- H.R. 1694: Fannie and Freddie Open Records Act of 2017
- H.J.Res. 87: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, ...
- H.R. 1387: SOAR Reauthorization Act
- H.R. 1061: Cell Location Privacy Act of 2017
- H.R. 1062: GPS Act
- H.Res. 117: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Chaffetz’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 5972 (112th): Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 29, 2012. Passed 261/163.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 15, 2011. Passed 271/158.
From Jan 2009 to Apr 2017, Chaffetz missed 200 of 6,011 roll call votes, which is 3.3%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 4 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: