Our unique analysis of the bills Chaffetz has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Chaffetz is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Read our 2015 Report Card for Chaffetz for more statistics.
Jason Chaffetz sits on the following committees:
- Chairman, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
Chaffetz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (30%) Crime and Law Enforcement (19%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Taxation (11%) International Affairs (9%) Economics and Public Finance (5%) Immigration (5%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%)
Some of Chaffetz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6302: Overtime Pay for Secret Service Agents Act of 2016
- H.R. 6303: To designate facilities of the United States Postal Service, to establish new ZIP ...
- H.R. 5790: Federal Bureau of Investigation Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2016
- H.R. 5751: Shiras Moose Protection and Recovery Act
- H.R. 5758: Advancing Conservation and Education Act of 2016
- H.R. 5714: Postal Service Reform Act of 2016
- H.R. 5718: Central Wasatch National Conservation and Recreation Area Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Chaffetz’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5147: Bathrooms Accessible in Every Situation (BABIES) Act
Sep 21, 2016. Passed.
S. 1252: Global Food Security Act of 2016
Jul 6, 2016. Passed.
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed.
S. 1177: Every Child Achieves Act of 2015
Dec 2, 2015. Passed.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed.
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed.
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2016, Chaffetz missed 198 of 5,776 roll call votes, which is 3.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 4 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: