Read our 2016 Report Card for Chaffetz.
Our unique analysis of the bills Chaffetz has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Chaffetz is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Chaffetz was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6450 (114th): Inspector General Empowerment Act of 2016
- H.R. 6302 (114th): Overtime Pay for Protective Services Act of 2016
- H.R. 5790 (114th): Federal Bureau of Investigation Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2016
- H.R. 255 (113th): To amend certain definitions contained in the Provo River Project Transfer Act for purposes of clarifying certain property descriptions, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 251 (113th): South Utah Valley Electric Conveyance Act
- H.R. 254 (113th): Bonneville Unit Clean Hydropower Facilitation Act
- H.R. 3547 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 936 South 250 East in Provo, Utah, as the “Rex E. Lee Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Chaffetz sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (32%) Crime and Law Enforcement (20%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Taxation (10%) International Affairs (7%) Immigration (7%) Economics and Public Finance (4%) Commerce (4%)
Some of Chaffetz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 222: Expressing support for designation of May 5, 2017, as “National Day of Awareness ...
- H.R. 1694: Fannie and Freddie Open Records Act of 2017
- H.J.Res. 87: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, ...
- H.R. 1387: SOAR Reauthorization Act
- H.R. 1061: Cell Location Privacy Act of 2017
- H.R. 1062: GPS Act
- H.Res. 117: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform ...
|Chaffetz’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 985: Concrete Masonry Products Research, Education, and Promotion Act of 2015
Nov 14, 2016. Passed 355/38.
S. 1252: Global Food Security Act of 2016
Jul 6, 2016. Passed 369/53.
The Global Food Security Act of 2016 (Pub.L. 114–195), is a law introduced on March 24, 2015 in the 114th Congress by Representative Christopher Henry "Chris" Smith (New Jersey-R) and on May 7, 2015 by Senator Robert Patrick "Bob" Casey Jr. (Pennsylvania-D), and signed by ...
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 5972 (112th): Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 29, 2012. Passed 261/163.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2009 to Jun 2017, Chaffetz missed 243 of 6,134 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jun 2017. ProPublica has tracked 4 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: