Fortenberry is the representative for Nebraska’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 4, 2005. Fortenberry is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Fortenberry.
Fortenberry is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fortenberry has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 11, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jeff Fortenberry sits on the following committees:
Fortenberry was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4819 (115th): DELTA Act
- H.R. 893 (114th): Boys Town Centennial Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 5283 (111th): Help HAITI Act of 2010
- H.R. 761 (110th): To authorize the Secretary of Interior to convey to The Missouri River Basin Lewis and Clark Interpretive Trail and Visitor Center Foundation, Inc. certain Federal land associated ...
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fortenberry sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Fortenberry’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 305: Congratulating the people of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on the centennial of ...
- H.R. 2402: Winnebago Land Transfer Act of 2021
- H.R. 810: To amend the National Trails System Act to direct the Secretary of the ...
- H.R. 8662 (116th): Accelerating Access to Critical Therapies for ALS Act
- H.R. 7722 (116th): Matt’s Act
- H.R. 7071 (116th): Accelerating Access to Critical Therapies for ALS Act
- H.R. 5868 (116th): RELIEF Act
From Jan 2005 to May 2021, Fortenberry missed 311 of 11,200 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: