Our unique analysis of the bills Merkley has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Merkley is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Read our 2015 Report Card for Merkley for more statistics.
Jeff Merkley sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Member, Subcommittee on Economic Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Senate Committee on the Budget
Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Member, Subcommittee on Clean Air and Nuclear Safety
- Member, Subcommittee on Superfund, Waste Management, and Regulatory Oversight
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Merkley sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (20%) Finance and Financial Sector (18%) Education (17%) Labor and Employment (12%) Water Resources Development (10%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Housing and Community Development (7%)
Some of Merkley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3245: Title VIII Nursing Workforce Reauthorization Act of 2016
- S. 3222: Columbia River In-Lieu and Treaty Fishing Access Sites Improvement Act
- S. 3187: Mandate Oil Spill Investigations and Emergency Rules (MOSIER) Act of 2016
- S. 3143: WAGE Act
- S. 2760: SAFE Lending Act of 2016
- S. 2621: Biotechnology Food Labeling Uniformity Act
- S. 2592: Medical Debt Relief Act of 2016
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2009 to Jul 2016, Merkley missed 24 of 2,312 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 1.7% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: