Read our 2016 Report Card for Sessions.
Sessions is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2019 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sessions sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Jan 2, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Sessions was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 527 (114th): A bill to award a Congressional Gold Medal to the Foot Soldiers who participated in Bloody Sunday, Turnaround Tuesday, or in the final Selma to Montgomery Voting ...
- S. 3070 (110th): Boy Scouts of America Centennial Commemorative Coin Act
- S. 863 (110th): Emergency and Disaster Assistance Fraud Penalty Enhancement Act of 2007
- S. 741 (108th): Minor Use and Minor Species Animal Health Act of 2003
- S. 1435 (108th): Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003
- S. 3045 (106th): Paul Coverdell National Forensic Sciences Improvement Act of 2000
- S. 3137 (106th): James Madison Commemoration Commission Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sessions sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Sessions’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 517 (114th): A resolution designating September 2016 as “National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month”.
- S.Res. 408 (114th): A resolution designating April 2016 as “National Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness Month”.
- S. 2561 (114th): Protection of Children Act of 2016
- S.Res. 248 (114th): A resolution designating September 2015 as “National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month”.
- S. 1842 (114th): Protecting American Lives Act
- S. 1640 (114th): Michael Davis, Jr. and Danny Oliver in Honor of State and Local ...
- S.Res. 115 (114th): A resolution designating April 2015 as “National Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness Month”.
From Jan 1997 to Feb 2017, Sessions missed 175 of 6,295 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is worse than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Feb 2017. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: