Van Drew is the representative for New Jersey’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican (2019-), previously a Democrat (2019-2019). He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Van Drew is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Van Drew.
Van Drew is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Van Drew has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 14, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jefferson Van Drew sits on the following committees:
Van Drew was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Van Drew sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Van Drew’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 396: Condemning the deadly and indiscriminate rocket attacks perpetrated against Israel by Hamas beginning ...
- H.R. 3167: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at Block ...
- H.R. 3168: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1087 ...
- H.R. 2667: To amend the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit providers of broadband internet ...
- H.R. 2666: To amend the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit providers of broadband internet ...
- H.R. 2665: To direct the Federal Communications Commission to establish a program to make grants ...
- H.Res. 256: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the fencing installed around ...
From Jan 2019 to May 2021, Van Drew missed 26 of 1,098 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: