González-Colón, a Republican, is the resident commissioner from Puerto Rico and has served since Jan 3, 2017. González-Colón is next up for reelection in 2020.
Because Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate, called the resident commissioner, with limited voting privileges — González-Colón can vote in committee but not on the House floor, including not on the final passage of bills. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Jenniffer González-Colón sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Natural Resources
- House Committee on Small Business
- House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
González-Colón sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of González-Colón’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4436: To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to study the suitability and feasibility ...
- H.R. 3472: Puerto Rico Air Cargo Industry Empowerment Act
- H.R. 3226: Supplemental Security Income Equality Act
- H.R. 2530: Earned Income Tax Credit Equity for Puerto Act of 2017
- H.R. 2531: Puerto Rico Medicare Part B Equality Act of 2017
- H.R. 2021: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the limitation on ...
- H.R. 1403: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent the deduction ...
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: