González-Colón is the resident commissioner from Puerto Rico and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. González-Colón is next up for reelection in 2020.
Because Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate, called the resident commissioner, with limited voting privileges — González-Colón can vote in committee but not on the House floor, including not on the final passage of bills. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Read our 2017 Report Card for González-Colón.
González-Colón is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills González-Colón has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Jenniffer González-Colón sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Natural Resources
- House Committee on Small Business
- House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
González-Colón sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of González-Colón’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6809: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for temporary ...
- H.R. 6785: To provide tax incentives to promote economic development in Economically Distressed Zones.
- H.R. 6246: Puerto Rico Admission Act of 2018
- H.R. 6209: To amend the Fair Housing Act to provide that it is unlawful for ...
- H.R. 6211: Puerto Rico Data Collection Equality Act of 2018
- H.R. 6210: To amend title 5, United States Code, to provide authority to the Administrator ...
- H.R. 5975: Puerto Rico Economic Empowerment Act of 2018
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: