Waldie was the representative for California’s 14th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1965 to 1974.
Waldie is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Waldie sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Waldie was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 9440 (93rd): An Act to provide for access to all duly licensed clinical psychologists and optometrists without prior referral in the Federal employee health benefits program.
- H.R. 8101 (93rd): An Act to authorize certain Federal agencies to detail personnel and to loan equipment to the Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, Department of the Interior.
- H.R. 9256 (93rd): A bill to increase the contribution of the Government to the costs of health benefits for Federal employees, and for other purposes.
- H.J.Res. 296 (93rd): Joint resolution to authorize the President to proclaim the last week of June 1973, as “National Autistic Children’s Week”.
- H.R. 6077 (93rd): A bill to permit immediate retirement of certain Federal employees.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Waldie sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Waldie’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 16864 (93rd): A bill for the relief of Gordon Hopper.
- H.R. 16582 (93rd): Nuclear Energy Reappraisal Act
- H.Con.Res. 608 (93rd): Concurrent resolution expressing the policy of the Congress that the performance of ...
- H.R. 15522 (93rd): Design Protection Act
- H.Con.Res. 499 (93rd): A concurrent resolution expressing the condemnation of the Congress with respect to ...
- H.J.Res. 980 (93rd): Joint Resolution to authorize the President to issue a proclamation designating the ...
- H.R. 14271 (93rd): A bill to amend title 5, United States Code, to reduce from ...
From Jun 1966 to Dec 1974, Waldie missed 464 of 2,766 roll call votes, which is 16.8%. This is much worse than the median of 9.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills