Carl is the representative for Alabama’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2021. Carl is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Carl is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Carl has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 20, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Jerry Carl Jr. sits on the following committees:
Carl sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Carl recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7285: Unleashing American Energy Act
- H.R. 7201: Earn Your Keep Act
- H.R. 7200: No Pensions for Lying Bureaucrats Act
- H.R. 6148: Alabama Underwater Forest National Marine Sanctuary and Protection Act
- H.R. 5983: Veterans Health Flexibility Act
- H.R. 5970: Dormant Government Program Accountability Act
- H.R. 5969: Border Security is National Security Act of 2021
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2021 to May 2022, Carl missed 3 of 681 roll call votes, which is 0.4%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: