Read our 2019 Report Card for McNerney.
McNerney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McNerney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 20, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jerry McNerney sits on the following committees:
McNerney was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4973: Trusting Commercial Communications Networks Act of 2019
- H.R. 3995 (115th): Improving Broadband Access for Veterans Act of 2017
- H.R. 1132 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1048 West Robinhood Drive in Stockton, California, as the “W. Ronald Coale Memorial Post Office ...
- H.R. 2406 (112th): To authorize the Administrator of General Services to convey a parcel of real property in Tracy, California, to the City of Tracy.
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McNerney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (17%) Science, Technology, Communications (15%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Education (13%) Energy (11%) Water Resources Development (11%) Commerce (11%) Environmental Protection (9%)
Some of McNerney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8175: Consumers REBATE Act
- H.R. 8128: Consumer Safety Technology Act
- H.R. 8071: Emergency Flood Response Act
- H.R. 7975: GREEN Workforce Act
- H.R. 6195: GIRLS STEM Act
- H.R. 6096: READI Act
- H.Res. 876: Expressing support for the designation of February 28, as “Desert Storm Veterans Day”.
From Jan 2007 to Nov 2020, McNerney missed 188 of 9,804 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: