García is the representative for Illinois’s 4th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. García is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
Read our 2019 Report Card for García.
García is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills García has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 7, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Jesús García sits on the following committees:
García sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of García’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7633: Lead Abatement for Families Act of 2020
- H.R. 7402: Protecting Renters from Eviction and Fees Act of 2020
- H.R. 7074: Promoting Equitable Transit-Oriented Development and Mobility Corridors Act
- H.R. 6637: Health Equity and Accountability Act of 2020
- H.R. 6581: Robust International Response to Pandemic Act
- H.R. 6501: Systemic Risk Mitigation Act of 2020
- H.R. 6463: Improving Access to Services Act
From Jan 2019 to Jul 2020, García missed 7 of 879 roll call votes, which is 0.8%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: