Banks is the representative for Indiana’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. Banks is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Banks is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Banks has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 18, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Jim Banks sits on the following committees:
Banks was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5348 (115th): Military Career Intermission Program Act of 2018
- H.R. 3656 (115th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to provide for a consistent eligibility date for provision of Department of Veterans Affairs memorial headstones and markers for eligible …
- H.R. 1391 (115th): Veterans Success on Campus Act of 2017
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Banks sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (28%) International Affairs (19%) Education (19%) Health (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (4%) Crime and Law Enforcement (4%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Banks recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7816: To prohibit fetal remains in publicly owned water systems, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 7737: Communist Visa Transparency Act of 2022
- H.R. 7150: To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to strengthen oversight and disclosures …
- H.Res. 990: Opposing engaging Russia for reviving any form of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of …
- H.R. 6969: No Oil From Terrorists Act
- H.R. 6579: Teamwork for Employees and Managers Act of 2022
- H.R. 6422: Putin Accountability Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to May 2022, Banks missed 28 of 2,845 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: