Read our 2016 Report Card for Costa.
Our unique analysis of the bills Costa has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Costa is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Jim Costa sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Agriculture
- House Committee on Natural Resources
Costa was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4389 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 19 East Merced Street in Fowler, California, as the “Cecil E. Bolt Post Office”.
- H.R. 1332 (111th): Safe FEAST Act of 2009
- H.R. 3754 (110th): To authorize the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to accept, as part of a settlement, diesel emission reduction Supplemental Environmental Projects, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4122 (110th): American Investment in Safe, Reliable High-Speed Rail Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Costa sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Costa’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3577: Results Through Innovation Act of 2017
- H.R. 5217 (114th): San Luis Unit Drainage Resolution Act
- H.R. 2327 (114th): Hmong Veterans’ Service Recognition Act
- H.Res. 61 (114th): Supporting the goals and ideals of a National Stalking Awareness Month.
- H.Res. 551 (113th): Supporting the mission and goals of 2014 National Crime Victims’ Rights Week, ...
- H.R. 4125 (113th): Shasta Dam Expansion Act of 2014
- H.R. 4127 (113th): Upper San Joaquin River Storage Act of 2014
|Costa’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 308: Keep the Promise Act of 2015
Nov 16, 2015. Failed 263/146.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2596: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Jun 16, 2015. Passed 247/178.
The Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (IAA), H.R. 2596, was passed by the House on June 16. The IAA would authorize funding for intelligence-related agencies such as the Central Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was passed ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 3078 (112th): United States-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Passed 262/167.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 1284 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the House amendments to the Senate amendment to the ...
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 342/83.
From Jan 2005 to Jul 2017, Costa missed 442 of 9,310 roll call votes, which is 4.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 17 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: