Our unique analysis of the bills DeMint sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). DeMint is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
DeMint was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- S. 336 (112th): Tax Relief Certainty Act of 2011
- H.R. 2952 (106th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 100 Orchard Park Drive in Greenville, South Carolina, as the “Keith D. Oglesby Station”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
DeMint sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (17%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Finance and Financial Sector (15%) Taxation (14%) Health (11%) International Affairs (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Labor and Employment (9%)
Some of DeMint’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3612 (112th): Commemorative Coins Reform Act of 2012
- S. 3551 (112th): A bill to require investigations into and a report on the September ...
- S. 3519 (112th): Pay for Printing Act
- S.J.Res. 42 (112th): A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United ...
- S. 2191 (112th): A bill to amend the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to ...
- S. 2186 (112th): A bill to amend the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to ...
- S. 2173 (112th): National Right-to-Work Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|DeMint’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013
Dec 21, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 81/14.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 17, 2011. Joint Resolution Passed 87/13.
H.R. 514 (112th): FISA Sunsets Extension Act of 2011
Feb 15, 2011. Bill Passed 86/12.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN959: Ben S. Bernanke, of New Jersey, to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four ...
Jan 28, 2010. Nomination Confirmed 70/30.
On the Nomination PN64-6: Timothy F. Geithner, of New York, to be Secretary of the Treasury
Jan 26, 2009. Nomination Confirmed 60/34.
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 2005 to Jan 2013, DeMint missed 110 of 2,484 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: