Read our 2014 Report Card for Matheson.
Matheson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Matheson sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 11, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Matheson was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 818 (112th): To direct the Secretary of the Interior to allow for prepayment of repayment contracts between the United States and the Uintah Water Conservancy District.
- H.R. 1442 (111th): To provide for the sale of the Federal Government’s reversionary interest in approximately 60 acres of land in Salt Lake City, Utah, originally conveyed to the Mount ...
- H.R. 1275 (111th): Utah Recreational Land Exchange Act of 2009
- H.R. 337 (111th): To provide for the sale of approximately 25 acres of public land to the Turnabout Ranch, Escalante, Utah, at fair market value.
- H.R. 338 (111th): Boy Scouts of America Land Transfer Act of 2009
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Matheson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Matheson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5823 (113th): Incentivizing Healthcare Quality Outcomes Act of 2014
- H.R. 4290 (113th): Wakefield Act of 2014
- H.R. 4023 (113th): Fairness to Pet Owners Act of 2014
- H.R. 3245 (113th): Medicare Home Health Fraud Reduction Act
- H.R. 2948 (113th): Transparency in Regulatory Analysis of Impacts on the Nation Act of 2013
- H.R. 2862 (113th): Freedom to Invest Act of 2013
- H.R. 2808 (113th): Wasatch Wilderness and Watershed Protection Act
From Jan 2001 to Dec 2014, Matheson missed 95 of 9,772 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: