Panetta is the representative for California’s 19th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2023. Panetta is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025. He is 53 years old.
He was previously the representative for California’s 20th congressional district as a Democrat from 2017 to 2022.
Read our 2022 Report Card for Panetta.
Panetta is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Panetta has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2019 to Mar 23, 2023. See full analysis methodology.
Jimmy Panetta sits on the following committees:
Panetta was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2049 (117th): REPLANT Act
- H.R. 1982 (117th): Monarch and Pollinator Highway Act of 2021
- H.R. 1767 (117th): DLI Act
- H.R. 7712 (116th): Special Operations and International Security Education Act
- H.R. 3749 (116th): Legal Services for Homeless Veterans Act
- H.R. 5821 (116th): HOSPICE Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Panetta sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (29%) Taxation (24%) International Affairs (15%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Agriculture and Food (6%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Health (5%) Labor and Employment (5%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Panetta recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 1764: To amend title 37, United States Code, to exclude the basic allowance for …
- H.R. 1763: To amend the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 to exclude from income …
- H.R. 1685: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a credit for …
- H.R. 1472: To amend the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act to provide for a …
- H.R. 1321: More Homes on the Market Act
- H.R. 1097: Everett Alvarez, Jr., Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2023
- H.R. 433: California Central Coast Conservation Act
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to Mar 2023, Panetta missed 4 of 3,324 roll call votes, which is 0.1%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- House Democratic Caucus for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills