Panetta is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Panetta has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 24, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Jimmy Panetta sits on the following committees:
Panetta was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2049: REPLANT Act
- H.R. 1982: Monarch and Pollinator Highway Act of 2021
- H.R. 1767: DLI Act
- H.R. 7712 (116th): Special Operations and International Security Education Act
- H.R. 3749 (116th): Legal Services for Homeless Veterans Act
- H.R. 5821 (116th): HOSPICE Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Panetta sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (27%) Taxation (23%) International Affairs (16%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Health (5%) Labor and Employment (5%) Agriculture and Food (5%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Panetta recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7752: Plant Biostimulant Act of 2022
- H.R. 7477: CERTS Tax Exemption Act
- H.R. 6405: Marriage Equality for Disabled Adults Act
- H.R. 6281: National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Data Integrity Act of 2021
- H.R. 6254: China Trade Cheating Restitution Act of 2021
- H.R. 6078: Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2021
- H.R. 5571: Monterey Bay National Heritage Area Study Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to May 2022, Panetta missed 4 of 2,845 roll call votes, which is 0.1%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: