Panetta is the representative for California’s 20th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. Panetta is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Panetta.
Panetta is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Panetta has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 30, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jimmy Panetta sits on the following committees:
Panetta sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (26%) International Affairs (21%) Taxation (15%) Health (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Immigration (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Some of Panetta’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7467: To amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965 to allow ...
- H.R. 7265: To improve assistance provided by the Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership to small manufacturers ...
- H.R. 7222: To provide for a credit against employment taxes for certain virus transmission prevention ...
- H.R. 6957: National Guard COVID-19 Earned Benefits Guarantee Act
- H.R. 6991: PAUSE Act
- H.R. 6872: SOS Act of 2020
- H.R. 6688: SNAP COVID-19 Anti-Hunger Restaurant Relief for You Act of 2020
From Jan 2017 to Jul 2020, Panetta missed 4 of 2,049 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: