Read our 2018 Report Card for Castro.
Castro is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Castro has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joaquin Castro sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Education and Labor
- Member, Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Investment
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Member, Subcommittee on Counterterrorism, Counterintelligence, and Counterproliferation
- Member, Subcommittee on Intelligence Modernization and Readiness
Castro sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (32%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Education (14%) Immigration (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Taxation (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%)
Some of Castro’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2706: Feeding Hungry Students in Schools Act of 2019
- H.Res. 349: Reaffirming the vital role of the United States-Japan alliance in promoting peace, stability, ...
- H.J.Res. 46: Relating to a national emergency declared by the President on February 15, 2019.
- H.R. 1062: National Cybersecurity Preparedness Consortium Act of 2019
- H.R. 1001: Family Member Access to Burn Pit Registry Act
- H.R. 1005: Burn Pit Veterans Revision Act
- H.R. 867: Intelligence Directors Lobbying Prevention Act of 2019
From Jan 2013 to Jun 2019, Castro missed 143 of 4,094 roll call votes, which is 3.5%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: