Courtney is the representative for Connecticut’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Courtney is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Courtney.
Courtney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Courtney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 22, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joe Courtney sits on the following committees:
Courtney was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8472 (116th): Impact Aid Coronavirus Relief Act
- H.R. 3325 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 235 Mountain Road in Suffield, Connecticut, as the “Corporal Stephen R. Bixler Post Office”.
- H.R. 986 (110th): Eightmile Wild and Scenic River Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Courtney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Courtney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3650: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to count a period ...
- H.R. 3486: To direct the Secretary of Education to deem each month for which certain ...
- H.R. 3024: Zero-Percent Student Loan Refinancing Act
- H.Res. 361: Calling upon the United States Senate to give its advice and consent to ...
- H.R. 2876: Protecting America’s Workers Act
- H.R. 2647: Remedies for Refusal of Repatriation Act
- H.R. 1810: Last Green Valley National Heritage Corridor and the Upper Housatonic Valley National Heritage ...
From Jan 2007 to Jun 2021, Courtney missed 114 of 10,010 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: