Read our 2020 Report Card for Courtney.
Courtney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Courtney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 2, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joe Courtney sits on the following committees:
Courtney was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8472 (116th): Impact Aid Coronavirus Relief Act
- H.R. 3325 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 235 Mountain Road in Suffield, Connecticut, as the “Corporal Stephen R. Bixler Post Office”.
- H.R. 986 (110th): Eightmile Wild and Scenic River Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Courtney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (31%) Labor and Employment (22%) Health (11%) International Affairs (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Agriculture and Food (6%) Taxation (6%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%)
Some of Courtney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6126: To provide that, due to the disruptions caused by COVID-19, applications for impact …
- H.R. 6087: To amend chapter 81 of title 5, United States Code, to cover, for …
- H.R. 6024: To establish an Employee Ownership and Participation Initiative, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4635: School Milk Nutrition Act of 2021
- H.R. 3650: Improving Access to Medicare Coverage Act of 2021
- H.R. 3486: Recognizing Military Service in PSLF Act
- H.R. 3024: Zero-Percent Student Loan Refinancing Act
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2021, Courtney missed 114 of 10,231 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: