Read our 2019 Report Card for Courtney.
Courtney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Courtney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joe Courtney sits on the following committees:
Courtney was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3325 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 235 Mountain Road in Suffield, Connecticut, as the “Corporal Stephen R. Bixler Post Office”.
- H.R. 986 (110th): Eightmile Wild and Scenic River Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Courtney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (23%) Labor and Employment (20%) Health (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) International Affairs (10%) Immigration (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%)
Some of Courtney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8075: Impact Aid Coronavirus Relief Act
- H.R. 7449: Bank on Students Coronavirus Emergency Loan Refinancing Act of 2020
- H.R. 6397: Coronavirus Emergency Student Loan Refinancing Act
- H.R. 6299: Rapid Coverage of COVID-19 Vaccine Act of 2020
- H.R. 5975: Last Green Valley National Heritage Corridor and the Upper Housatonic Valley National Heritage ...
- H.Res. 838: Commemorating the 10th anniversary of the Kleen Energy Systems natural gas explosion.
- H.R. 3863: To deauthorize the New London Harbor Waterfront Channel.
From Jan 2007 to Sep 2020, Courtney missed 114 of 9,772 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: