Courtney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Courtney has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 2, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Joe Courtney sits on the following committees:
Courtney was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6126: Supplemental Impact Aid Flexibility Act
- H.R. 8472 (116th): Impact Aid Coronavirus Relief Act
- H.R. 3325 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 235 Mountain Road in Suffield, Connecticut, as the “Corporal Stephen R. Bixler Post Office”.
- H.R. 986 (110th): Eightmile Wild and Scenic River Act
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Courtney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (34%) Labor and Employment (22%) International Affairs (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Health (10%) Taxation (5%) Crime and Law Enforcement (5%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Courtney recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 8746: Access to Inpatient Rehabilitation Therapy Act of 2022
- H.R. 8549: Young Farmer Success Act
- H.R. 8406: COREY Safety Act of 2022
- H.R. 8330: Strengthening and Improving Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act of 2022
- H.R. 8073: To direct the Secretary of Defense to establish a joint training pipeline between …
- H.R. 7767: Strengthening Behavioral Health Benefits Act
- H.R. 7098: MAGNET Act of 2022
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2022, Courtney missed 114 of 10,762 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: