Read our 2016 Report Card for Donnelly.
Our unique analysis of the bills Donnelly has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Donnelly is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Joe Donnelly sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Economic Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
Donnelly sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (28%) Health (16%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Education (9%) Economics and Public Finance (6%)
Some of Donnelly’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1855: A bill to permit the Miami Nation of Indiana to apply for acknowledgment ...
- S. 1751: Preserving Access to Manufactured Housing Act of 2017
- S. 1683: Restoring Integrity to America’s Elections Act
- S. 1677: A bill to amend the Food, Agriculture, Conservation, and Trade Act of 1990 ...
- S. 1678: A bill to amend the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act to improve ...
- S. 1567: VA Prescription Data Accountability Act of 2017
- S. 1453: Strengthening the Addiction Treatment Workforce Act
|Donnelly’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN47: Jay Clayton, of New York, to be a Member of the Securities and Exchange Commission for a term expiring June 5, 2021
May 2, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 61/37.
On the Nomination PN88: R. Alexander Acosta, of Florida, to be Secretary of Labor
Apr 27, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 60/38.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Con.Res. 308 (111th): Providing for a conditional adjournment of the House of Representatives.
Jul 29, 2010. Passed 231/189.
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
From Jan 2013 to Oct 2017, Donnelly missed 12 of 1,404 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 5 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: