Read our 2016 Report Card for Manchin.
Our unique analysis of the bills Manchin has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Manchin is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Joe Manchin III sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Member, Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Manchin was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1431 (114th): Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 2015
- S. 1334 (113th): Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act of 2013
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Manchin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (26%) Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Energy (15%) Transportation and Public Works (9%) Social Welfare (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Environmental Protection (8%) Taxation (6%)
Some of Manchin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1563: Rare Earth Element Advanced Coal Technologies Act
- S. 1525: Defending Educational Opportunities for West Virginia Students Act of 2017
- S. 1337: Capitalizing on American Storage Potential Act
- S. 1165: A bill to designate the medical center of the Department of Veterans Affairs ...
- S. 1105: Miners Pension Protection Act
- S. 1104: Rural Wireless Access Act of 2017
- S. 1078: FDA Accountability for Public Safety Act
|Manchin’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 89: A bill to amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels that only operate within inland waterways from the fire-retardant materials requirement if the ...
Apr 3, 2017. Bill Passed 85/12.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 24, 2015. Motion Agreed to 60/38.
This was the Senate's final vote on Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. The House had ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
May 22, 2015. Bill Passed 62/37.
This vote turned what was a bill regarding administrative appeals of IRS determinations into the Trade Act of 2015, which included Trade Promotion Authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal as well as Trade Adjustment Assistance.
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
S. 1789 (112th): 21st Century Postal Service Act of 2012
Apr 25, 2012. Bill Passed 62/37.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
From Nov 2010 to Aug 2017, Manchin missed 30 of 1,883 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: