Scarborough was the representative for Florida’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 2001.
Scarborough is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Scarborough sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 1997 to Nov 19, 2002. See full analysis methodology.
Scarborough was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2559 (107th): To amend chapter 90 of title 5, United States Code, relating to Federal long-term care insurance.
- H.R. 2240 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 3719 Highway 4 in Jay, Florida, as the “Joseph W. Westmoreland Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4040 (106th): Long-Term Care Security Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Scarborough sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Scarborough’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2843 (107th): To amend the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure to allow motions for ...
- H.R. 2842 (107th): To provide that Federal civilian retirees shall not be allowed to receive ...
- H.R. 2815 (107th): To designate the Federal building located at 10th Street and Constitution Avenue, ...
- H.R. 2559 (107th): To amend chapter 90 of title 5, United States Code, relating to ...
- H.R. 2240 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 1631 (107th): Florida Offshore Drilling bill
- H.R. 857 (107th): For the relief of Romeo P. Teodoro.
From Jan 1995 to Sep 2001, Scarborough missed 480 of 4,075 roll call votes, which is 11.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 2001. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: