Skubitz was the representative for Kansas’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1963 to 1978.
Skubitz is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Skubitz sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Skubitz was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 13797 (95th): A bill to authorize establishment of the Fort Scott National Historic Site, Kansas, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 7743 (94th): A bill to amend the Pennsylvania Avenue Development Corporation Act of 1972 (Public Law 92-578), as amended.
- H.R. 7976 (93rd): A bill to amend the act of August 31, 1965, commemorating certain historical events in the State of Kansas.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Skubitz sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (19%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Labor and Employment (16%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Water Resources Development (10%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Energy (8%) Economics and Public Finance (8%)
Some of Skubitz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 14403 (95th): A bill to require that a gift or decoration presented by any ...
- H.R. 14305 (95th): Railroad Safety Incentive Act
- H.R. 14218 (95th): A bill to amend title 44, United States Code, to provide for ...
- H.R. 13797 (95th): A bill to authorize establishment of the Fort Scott National Historic Site, ...
- H.R. 13720 (95th): Visitors Promotion Act
- H.R. 13296 (95th): A bill to amend the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 ...
- H.R. 12833 (95th): Community and Airport Development Act
From Jan 1963 to Oct 1978, Skubitz missed 669 of 6,086 roll call votes, which is 11.0%. This is on par with the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills