Barrow was the representative for Georgia’s 12th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2005 to 2014.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Barrow.
Barrow is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Barrow sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 11, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Barrow was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 663 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 12877 Broad Street in Sparta, Georgia, as the “Yvonne Ingram-Ephraim Post Office Building”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Barrow sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Taxation (14%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Labor and Employment (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Health (7%) Transportation and Public Works (7%)
Some of Barrow’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 633 (113th): Expressing the sense of the House with respect to accountability for mismanagement ...
- H.R. 4928 (113th): Readying Our Troops for Combat Act of 2014
- H.R. 4591 (113th): Workforce Investment and Job Creation Act
- H.R. 4331 (113th): To require a 50 percent reduction in the number of limousines in ...
- H.R. 4072 (113th): To prohibit the use of funds appropriated to any Federal department or ...
- H.R. 3904 (113th): To reduce the period of the availability of allowances for former Speakers ...
- H.R. 3201 (113th): Augusta Canal National Heritage Area Reauthorization Act of 2013
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2014, Barrow missed 86 of 7,555 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: