Blatnik, a Democrat, was the representative for Minnesota's 8th congressional district from 1947 to 1974.
Blatnik is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Blatnik sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Blatnik was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 17558 (93rd): An Act to amend the act of May 13, 1954, relating to the Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation to provide for a 7-year term of office for ...
- H.R. 14883 (93rd): An Act to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965 to extend the authorizations for a 2-year period, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 14884 (93rd): A bill to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965 to extend the authorizations for a 2-year period.
- H.R. 10203 (93rd): Water Resources Development Act
- H.R. 10204 (93rd): Water Resources Development Act
- H.R. 2246 (93rd): A bill to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965 to extend the authorizations for a 1-year period.
- H.R. 4604 (93rd): Employee Benefit Security Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Blatnik sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Labor and Employment (19%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (14%) Taxation (12%) Transportation and Public Works (12%) Agriculture and Food (9%) Energy (9%) Social Welfare (9%)
Some of Blatnik’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 17558 (93rd): An Act to amend the act of May 13, 1954, relating to ...
- H.R. 17390 (93rd): A bill to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of ...
- H.R. 15483 (93rd): A bill to provide for additional Federal financial participation in expenses incurred ...
- H.R. 15430 (93rd): A bill to require the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission to reopen and ...
- H.R. 14883 (93rd): An Act to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of ...
- H.R. 14884 (93rd): A bill to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of ...
- H.R. 14799 (93rd): A bill to provide for a temporary program of special unemployment compensation ...
From Jan 1947 to Dec 1974, Blatnik missed 996 of 4,801 roll call votes, which is 20.7%. This is much worse than the median of 9.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills