Campbell, a Republican, was the representative for California’s 45th congressional district from 2013 to 2014.
He was previously the representative for California’s 48th congressional district (2005-2012).
In 2010 Campbell was investigated for soliciting campaign contributions from entities affected by legislation then under consideration in 2009. The House Committee on Ethics recommended no further action. In 2014, Campell announced he would not seek reelection.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Campbell.
Campbell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Campbell sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Campbell was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4809 (113th): To reauthorize the Defense Production Act, to improve the Defense Production Act Committee, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4360 (111th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs blind rehabilitation center in Long Beach, California, as the “Major Charles Robert Soltes, Jr., O.D. Department of Veterans Affairs Blind ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Campbell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (25%) Housing and Community Development (20%) Taxation (20%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Transportation and Public Works (10%)
Some of Campbell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4809 (113th): To reauthorize the Defense Production Act, to improve the Defense Production Act ...
- H.R. 4013 (113th): To direct the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to establish a program ...
- H.R. 2733 (113th): Defending American Taxpayers From Abusive Government Takings Act of 2013
- H.R. 613 (113th): Systemic Risk Mitigation Act
- H.R. 6397 (112th): Defending American Taxpayers From Abusive Government Takings Act of 2012
- H.R. 4870 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on certain non-toric shaped polarized materials of ...
- H.R. 4871 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on certain toric shaped polarized materials.
From Dec 2005 to Dec 2014, Campbell missed 986 of 6,937 roll call votes, which is 14.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. ProPublica has tracked 66 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: