Read our 2016 Report Card for Carter.
Our unique analysis of the bills Carter has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Carter is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
John Carter sits on the following committees:
Carter was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2217 (113th): Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2014
- H.R. 298 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 500 East Whitestone Boulevard in Cedar Park, Texas, as the “Army Specialist Matthew Troy Morris ...
- H.R. 2422 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2300 Scenic Drive in Georgetown, Texas, as the “Kile G. West Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1182 (111th): Military Spouses Residency Relief Act
- H.R. 3974 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 797 Sam Bass Road in Round Rock, Texas, as the “Marine Corps Corporal Steven P. ...
- H.R. 1732 (108th): Williamson County Water Recycling Act of 2004
- H.R. 1731 (108th): Identity Theft Penalty Enhancement Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Carter sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Carter’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 238: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Secretary of the ...
- H.R. 1133: Veterans Transplant Coverage Act of 2017
- H.R. 495: Protection of Children Act of 2017
- H.R. 5734 (114th): Veterans Transplant Coverage Act of 2016
- H.R. 5634 (114th): Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2017
- H.R. 4584 (114th): POLICE Act of 2016
- H.Res. 621 (114th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives regarding the future of ...
|Carter’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 863: To facilitate the addition of park administration at the Coltsville National Historical Park, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2017. Passed 369/42.
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 266/167.
This vote turned this bill into the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015, by replacing the text of the bill in whole. H.R. 1314 was previously the Trade Act of 2015.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 5021 (113th): Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014
Jul 15, 2014. Passed 367/55.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
From Jan 2003 to Jun 2017, Carter missed 476 of 10,409 roll call votes, which is 4.6%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 119 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: