Cooksey was the representative for Louisiana’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1997 to 2002.
Cooksey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cooksey sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 1997 to Nov 19, 2002. See full analysis methodology.
Cooksey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cooksey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3432 (107th): Seaport Security Enhancement Act
- H.R. 2682 (107th): To provide for the designation of certain closed military installations as ports …
- H.R. 2250 (107th): Patient Access, Choice, and Equity Act of 2001
- H.R. 631 (107th): Project Apollo Commemorative Coin Act of 2001
- H.R. 4925 (106th): Patient Access, Choice, and Equity Act of 2000
- H.R. 636 (106th): Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Amendments of 1999
- H.R. 2653 (105th): To direct the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service …
From Jan 1997 to Nov 2002, Cooksey missed 392 of 3,397 roll call votes, which is 11.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: