Cornyn is the senior senator from Texas and is a Republican. He has served since Nov 30, 2002. Cornyn is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Cornyn.
Cornyn is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cornyn has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Cornyn sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Finance
- Chair, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
- Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- United States Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control
Cornyn was the primary sponsor of 23 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2703: Project Safe Neighborhoods Grant Program Authorization Act of 2018
- S. 1766: SAFER Act of 2017
- S. 1393: Jobs for Our Heroes Act
- S. 2209: Prioritizing the Most Vulnerable Over Lottery Winners Act of 2017
- S. 1617: Javier Vega, Jr. Memorial Act of 2017
- S. 782: PROTECT Our Children Act of 2017
- S. 1478: Defense Siting Clearinghouse Improvement Act of 2017
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cornyn sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (30%) Taxation (20%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) International Affairs (10%) Health (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Cornyn’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3170: CyberTipline Modernization Act of 2018
- S.Res. 521: A resolution condemning the horrific attack in Santa Fe, Texas, and expressing support ...
- S. 2890: A bill to improve the prosecution of criminal offenses committed by juveniles on ...
- S. 2866: Coastal Texas Protection Act
- S.Res. 503: A resolution commemorating the tricentennial of the City of San Antonio, Texas.
- S. 2808: TOOLS to Rehabilitate Communities Act
- S. 2795: FIRST STEP Act
As Senate Majority Whip, Cornyn may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
|Cornyn’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN1642: Mark Jeremy Bennett, of Hawaii, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit
Jul 10, 2018. Nomination Confirmed 72/27.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
On the Nomination PN1152: John B. King, of New York, to be Secretary of Education
Mar 14, 2016. Nomination Confirmed 49/40.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 30, 2015. Motion Agreed to 64/35.
This vote was on the bill in its final form as the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4302 (113th): Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014
Mar 31, 2014. Bill Passed 64/35.
Section 212 of this bill pushed back the deadline to implement the ICD-10 code set to October 1, 2015. The Cutting Costly Codes Act of 2013, which would prevent ICD-10 from being implemented at all without further Congressional approval, has been introduced in House and ...
S. 601 (113th): Water Resources Development Act of 2013
May 15, 2013. Bill Passed 83/14.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN64-6: Timothy F. Geithner, of New York, to be Secretary of the Treasury
Jan 26, 2009. Nomination Confirmed 60/34.
From Jan 2003 to Jul 2018, Cornyn missed 92 of 4,797 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: