Read our 2016 Report Card for Cornyn.
Our unique analysis of the bills Cornyn has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Cornyn is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
John Cornyn sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Finance
- Chair, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
- Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- United States Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control
Cornyn was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 583: American Law Enforcement Heroes Act of 2017
- S. 612 (114th): WIIN Act
- S. 2577 (114th): Justice for All Reauthorization Act of 2016
- S. 461 (114th): Cross-Border Trade Enhancement Act of 2016
- S. 2040 (114th): Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act
- S. 2763 (114th): Holocaust Expropriated Art Recovery Act of 2016
- S. 2840 (114th): Protecting Our Lives by Initiating COPS Expansion Act of 2016
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cornyn sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (23%) Taxation (22%) International Affairs (11%) Health (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Environmental Protection (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%)
Some of Cornyn’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1393: Jobs for Our Heroes Act
- S. 1385: North American Development Bank Improvement Act of 2017
- S. 1338: Dust Off Crews of the Vietnam War Congressional Gold Medal Act
- S. 1311: Abolish Human Trafficking Act of 2017
- S. 1190: A bill to extend the waiver of limitations with respect to excluding from ...
- S. 1163: Veterans’ Health Care Integrity Act of 2017
- S. 1134: Back the Blue Act of 2017
As Senate Majority Whip, Cornyn may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
|Cornyn’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
On the Nomination PN1152: John B. King, of New York, to be Secretary of Education
Mar 14, 2016. Nomination Confirmed 49/40.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 30, 2015. Motion Agreed to 64/35.
This vote was on the bill in its final form as the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 4302 (113th): Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014
Mar 31, 2014. Bill Passed 64/35.
Section 212 of this bill pushed back the deadline to implement the ICD-10 code set to October 1, 2015. The Cutting Costly Codes Act of 2013, which would prevent ICD-10 from being implemented at all without further Congressional approval, has been introduced in House and ...
S. 601 (113th): Water Resources Development Act of 2013
May 15, 2013. Bill Passed 83/14.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN64-6: Timothy F. Geithner, of New York, to be Secretary of the Treasury
Jan 26, 2009. Nomination Confirmed 60/34.
From Jan 2003 to Jun 2017, Cornyn missed 92 of 4,472 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: