Dent, a Democrat, was the representative for Pennsylvania's 21st congressional district from 1957 to 1978.
Dent is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Dent sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Dent was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 9701 (95th): An Act to amend the Budget and Accounting Procedures Act of 1950 to require that the Comptroller General provide for a financial audit with respect to pension ...
- H.R. 4544 (95th): Black Lung Benefits Reform Act
- H.R. 9378 (95th): A bill to amend title IV of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 to postpone, for 2 years, the date on which the corporation first ...
- H.R. 3744 (95th): Fair Labor Standards Amendments
- H.J.Res. 1118 (94th): Joint resolution to provide that qualified individuals may hear and determine claims for benefits under title IV of the Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of ...
- H.R. 3211 (94th): Overseas Citizens Voting Rights Act
- H.R. 2 (93rd): Employee Retirement Income Security Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Dent sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Dent’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 14336 (95th): A bill to provide for pension reform for State and local public ...
- H.R. 14138 (95th): A bill to provide for pension reform for a State and local ...
- H.R. 11808 (95th): Defense Dependents Education Act
- H.J.Res. 659 (95th): Joint resolution to authorize and request the President to issue annually a ...
- H.R. 10043 (95th): Fair Labor Standards Foreign Trade Act
- H.R. 9933 (95th): Fair Trade Act
- H.R. 9934 (95th): Fair Trade Act
From Feb 1958 to Oct 1978, Dent missed 1,875 of 6,595 roll call votes, which is 28.4%. This is much worse than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills