Our unique analysis of the bills Duncan sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Duncan is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Duncan was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4263 (98th): Tennessee Wilderness Act of 1984
- H.R. 5079 (96th): A bill to provide for participation of the United States in the International Energy Exposition to be held in Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1982, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 13167 (95th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to ensure that the deduction for contributions to a black lung benefit trust be allowed for any ...
- H.R. 7228 (94th): An Act to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to permit the authorization of means other than stamp on containers of distilled spirits as evidence of ...
- H.R. 13501 (94th): A bill to extend or remove certain time limitations and make other administrative improvements in the medicare program under title XVIII of the Social Security Act.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Duncan sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (29%) Private Legislation (15%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (14%) Social Welfare (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Labor and Employment (9%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Some of Duncan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4790 (100th): College Savings Bond Act of 1988
- H.R. 4778 (100th): A bill to direct the Secretary of the Interior to repair and ...
- H.R. 4736 (100th): A bill for the relief of Maria Antonieta Heird.
- H.R. 4196 (100th): A bill to provide a military survivor annuity for widows of certain ...
- H.R. 4082 (100th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide ...
- H.R. 3323 (100th): A bill to provide that certain disclaimers shall not be treated as ...
- H.R. 3027 (100th): A bill to require the Secretary of Energy to pay all minimum ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1965 to Jun 1988, Duncan missed 374 of 10,414 roll call votes, which is 3.6%. This is better than the median of 5.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jun 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills