Our unique analysis of the bills Ensign sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Ensign is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ensign was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1450 (111th): A bill to enable State homes to furnish nursing home care to parents any of whose children died while serving in the Armed Forces.
- S. 310 (109th): Newlands Project Headquarters and Maintenance Yard Facility Transfer Act
- S. 2640 (108th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1050 North Hills Boulevard in Reno, Nevada, as the “Guardians of Freedom Memorial ...
- S. 313 (108th): Animal Drug User Fee Act of 2003
- S. 570 (108th): A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 with respect to the qualifications of foreign schools.
- H.R. 449 (105th): Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act of 1998
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Ensign sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (17%) Health (15%) Taxation (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Law (12%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%)
Some of Ensign’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 146 (112th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that it is not ...
- S. 729 (112th): A bill to validate final patent number 27-2005-0081, and for other purposes.
- S. 650 (112th): Health Care Waiver Transparency Act
- S. 549 (112th): Casting Light on EAJA Agency Records for Oversight Act of 2011
- S. 422 (112th): Passenger Vehicle Loss Disclosure Act of 2011
- S. 417 (112th): Churchill County Land Transfer Act
- S. 315 (112th): Securing Human Intelligence and Enforcing Lawful Dissemination Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 2001 to May 2011, Ensign missed 104 of 3,369 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in May 2011. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: