Our unique analysis of the bills Ensign sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Ensign is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ensign was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1450 (111th): A bill to enable State homes to furnish nursing home care to parents any of whose children died while serving in the Armed Forces.
- S. 310 (109th): Newlands Project Headquarters and Maintenance Yard Facility Transfer Act
- S. 590 (109th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 750 4th Street in Sparks, Nevada, as the “Mayor Tony Armstrong Memorial Post ...
- S. 2640 (108th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1050 North Hills Boulevard in Reno, Nevada, as the “Guardians of Freedom Memorial ...
- S. 2532 (108th): Lincoln County Conservation, Recreation, and Development Act of 2004
- S. 313 (108th): Animal Drug User Fee Act of 2003
- S. 570 (108th): A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 with respect to the qualifications of foreign schools.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ensign sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (17%) Health (15%) Taxation (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Law (12%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Economics and Public Finance (10%)
Some of Ensign’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 146 (112th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that it is not ...
- S. 729 (112th): A bill to validate final patent number 27-2005-0081, and for other purposes.
- S. 650 (112th): Health Care Waiver Transparency Act
- S. 549 (112th): Casting Light on EAJA Agency Records for Oversight Act of 2011
- S. 422 (112th): Passenger Vehicle Loss Disclosure Act of 2011
- S. 417 (112th): Churchill County Land Transfer Act
- S. 315 (112th): Securing Human Intelligence and Enforcing Lawful Dissemination Act
|Ensign’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 17, 2011. Joint Resolution Passed 87/13.
H.R. 514 (112th): FISA Sunsets Extension Act of 2011
Feb 15, 2011. Bill Passed 86/12.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
On the Nomination PN64-6: Timothy F. Geithner, of New York, to be Secretary of the Treasury
Jan 26, 2009. Nomination Confirmed 60/34.
S.J.Res. 5 (111th): A joint resolution relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 15, 2009. Joint Resolution Defeated 42/52.
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 74/25.
This is the Senate's October 2008 Economic Stimulus Relief Bill. This bill was originally introduced in March 2007 and passed the House as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. In October 2008, it was co-opted as the so-called "vehicle" to pass the relief bill ...
H.R. 7081 (110th): United States-India Nuclear Cooperation Approval and Nonproliferation Enhancement Act
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 86/13.
H.R. 6124 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jun 18, 2008. Veto Overridden 80/14.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Dec 14, 2007. Bill Passed 79/14.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 2001 to May 2011, Ensign missed 104 of 3,369 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in May 2011. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: