Fleming was the representative for Louisiana’s 4th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2009 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Fleming.
Fleming is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fleming sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Fleming was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5011 (114th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Fannin Street in Shreveport, Louisiana, as the “Tom Stagg Federal Building and United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 5069 (113th): Federal Duck Stamp Act of 2014
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fleming sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (19%) Taxation (16%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Environmental Protection (13%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Animals (6%) Immigration (6%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Fleming recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 6247 (114th): To provide for stability of title to certain lands in the State …
- H.R. 6074 (114th): Stop Taxpayer Obamacare Payouts “STOP” Act of 2016
- H.Res. 828 (114th): Impeaching John Andrew Koskinen, Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, for high …
- H.Res. 798 (114th): Affirming the votes of the eight countries including the United States opposing …
- H.R. 5011 (114th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 …
- H.R. 4828 (114th): Conscience Protection Act of 2016
- H.R. 4037 (114th): Keeping Oil and Natural Gas Flowing for Consumers Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2016, Fleming missed 51 of 5,790 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: