Flynt is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Flynt sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Flynt was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 613 (95th): Joint resolution to authorize and request the President to issue a proclamation designating the first Sunday of September after Labor Day in 1978 as “National Grandparents Day”.
- H.R. 510 (93rd): A bill to authorize and direct the Secretary of Agriculture to convey any interest held by the United States in certain property in Jasper County, Ga., to ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Flynt sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (27%) Education (13%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Law (10%) Labor and Employment (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) International Affairs (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (7%)
Some of Flynt’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1415 (95th): A resolution investigation pursuant to H. Res. 252 in re: Representative John ...
- H.Res. 1416 (95th): A resolution investigation pursuant to H. Res. 252 in re: Representative Edward ...
- H.Res. 1414 (95th): A resolution investigation pursuant to H. Res. 252 in re: Representative Charles ...
- H.Res. 1350 (95th): A resolution providing that the Speaker of the House certify the Report ...
- H.R. 13155 (95th): A bill to amend section 218 of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.J.Res. 991 (95th): A resolution to authorize and request the President to issue annually a ...
- H.J.Res. 938 (95th): A resolution to authorize and request the President to issue annually a ...
From Jan 1955 to Oct 1978, Flynt missed 1,175 of 6,848 roll call votes, which is 17.2%. This is much worse than the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills