Read our 2018 Report Card for Garamendi.
Garamendi is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Garamendi has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Garamendi sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Armed Services
House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management
- Member, Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Member, Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
Garamendi was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 357: Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta National Heritage Area Act
- H.R. 5326: Maritime Technical Corrections Act of 2018
- H.R. 6206: Coast Guard Blue Technology Center of Expertise Act
- H.R. 3692 (114th): Lake Tahoe Restoration Act of 2015
- H.R. 5793 (111th): Close Foreign Tax Loopholes: Make it in America Act of 2010
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Garamendi sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (18%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Energy (14%) Environmental Protection (11%) Water Resources Development (11%) Education (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Agriculture and Food (7%)
Some of Garamendi’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3193: To modify the treatment of deadlines for emergency relief funds awarded by the ...
- H.R. 2838: Enhancing the Strength and Capacity of America’s Primary Evacuation routes Act
- H.R. 2617: OATH Act
- H.Res. 321: Recognizing the historic, cultural, and religious significance of the festival of Vaisakhi, and ...
- H.R. 2208: Cabin Air Safety Act of 2019
- H.R. 1899: Student Loan Refinancing and Recalculation Act
- H.R. 1764: To amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act with respect to permitting terms, ...
From Nov 2009 to Jun 2019, Garamendi missed 272 of 6,465 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: