He was previously the representative for California’s 10th congressional district as a Democrat from 2009 to 2012.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Garamendi.
Garamendi is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Garamendi has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 2, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Garamendi sits on the following committees:
Garamendi was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5671: Merchant Mariners of World War II Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2020
- H.R. 357: Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta National Heritage Area Act
- H.R. 5326 (115th): Maritime Technical Corrections Act of 2018
- H.R. 6206 (115th): Coast Guard Blue Technology Center of Expertise Act
- H.R. 3692 (114th): Lake Tahoe Restoration Act of 2015
- H.R. 5793 (111th): Close Foreign Tax Loopholes: Make it in America Act of 2010
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Garamendi sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (26%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Energy (15%) Water Resources Development (12%) International Affairs (9%) Education (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Garamendi’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8825: To authorize the Maritime Administrator to use certain appropriated funds to purchase duplicate ...
- H.R. 8217: WIFIA Improvement Act of 2020
- H.R. 7523: TIFIA for Airports Act
- H.R. 7312: HOME Investment Partnerships Reauthorization Act of 2020
- H.R. 7073: Special Districts Provide Essential Services Act
- H.R. 6560: UNITE Act of 2020
- H.R. 6188: Support Our Military Working Dogs Act
From Nov 2009 to Dec 2020, Garamendi missed 283 of 7,072 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: