Read our 2016 Report Card for Hoeven.
Our unique analysis of the bills Hoeven has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hoeven is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
John Hoeven sits on the following committees:
- Chairman, Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Member, Subcommittee on Commodities, Risk Management and Trade
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Specialty Crops, and Agricultural Research
- Member, Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
Hoeven was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 184 (114th): Native American Children’s Safety Act
- S. 2032 (114th): National Bison Legacy Act
- S. 244 (113th): A bill to amend the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to modify the Pilot Project offices of the Federal Permit Streamlining Pilot Project.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Hoeven sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Energy (35%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Environmental Protection (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Sports and Recreation (10%) Agriculture and Food (6%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Emergency Management (6%)
Some of Hoeven’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 658: Illegal Synthetic Drug Safety Act of 2017
- S. 440: A bill to establish a procedure for the conveyance of certain Federal property ...
- S.Res. 36: An original resolution authorizing expenditures by the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs.
- S. 245: Indian Tribal Energy Development and Self-Determination Act Amendments of 2017
- S. 3437 (114th): A bill to establish a procedure for the conveyance of certain Federal ...
- S. 3459 (114th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to enhance ...
- S.Res. 585 (114th): A resolution designating October 26, 2016, as “Day of the Deployed”.
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Hoeven’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.J.Res. 59 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014
Dec 18, 2013. Motion Agreed to 64/36.
The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 (H.J.Res. 59; Pub.L. 113–67) is a federal statute concerning spending and the budget in the United States, that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on December 26, 2013. On December 10, 2013, pursuant to the provisions of ...
H.R. 325 (113th): No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013
Jan 31, 2013. Bill Passed 64/34.
H.R. 152 (113th): Disaster Relief Appropriations Act, 2013
Jan 28, 2013. Bill Passed 62/36.
S. 1789 (112th): 21st Century Postal Service Act of 2012
Apr 25, 2012. Bill Passed 62/37.
From Jan 2011 to Apr 2017, Hoeven missed 22 of 1,761 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: