Hoeven is the senior senator from North Dakota and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 5, 2011. Hoeven is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Hoeven.
Hoeven is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hoeven has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Hoeven sits on the following committees:
Hoeven was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 212 (116th): Indian Community Economic Enhancement Act of 2020
- S. 209 (116th): PROGRESS for Indian Tribes Act
- S. 2522 (116th): Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2020
- S. 1148 (116th): ATC Hiring Reform Act of 2019
- S. 245 (115th): Indian Tribal Energy Development and Self-Determination Act Amendments of 2017
- S. 2074 (115th): A bill to establish a procedure for the conveyance of certain Federal property around the Jamestown Reservoir in the State of North Dakota, and for other purposes.
- S. 440 (115th): A bill to establish a procedure for the conveyance of certain Federal property around the Dickinson Reservoir in the State of North Dakota.
Does 13 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hoeven sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hoeven’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1518: A bill to amend the National Agricultural Research, Extension, and Teaching Policy Act ...
- S. 1403: Move America Act of 2021
- S. 1349: Montgomery GI Bill Parity Act of 2021
- S. 1168: A bill to provide clarification regarding the common or usual name for bison ...
- S. 1053: Modernizing Agricultural Transportation Act
- S. 759: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend the ...
- S. 661: Carbon Capture Modernization Act
From Jan 2011 to Jun 2021, Hoeven missed 40 of 3,204 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is on par with the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: