Jenrette, a Democrat, was the representative for South Carolina's 6th congressional district from 1975 to 1980.
Jenrette is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Jenrette sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Jenrette was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 4293 (95th): A bill to amend section 316(c) of the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 to provide that leasing of flue-cured tobacco acreage-poundage marketing quotas after June 15 of ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jenrette sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (18%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (18%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (16%) International Affairs (8%) Private Legislation (8%) Commerce (8%) Social Welfare (8%)
Some of Jenrette’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8403 (96th): A bill to provide that profits that certain Government officials derive from ...
- H.R. 8260 (96th): Oil Windfall Acquisition Act of 1980
- H.R. 7661 (96th): A bill to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate ...
- H.R. 7323 (96th): A bill to establish a minimum rate of duty of 45 cents ...
- H.J.Res. 506 (96th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning July 13, 1980, as “National ...
- H.R. 6329 (96th): Military Selective Service Amendments of 1980
- H.R. 5324 (96th): Employment Development Loan Act of 1979
From Jan 1975 to Dec 1980, Jenrette missed 816 of 4,085 roll call votes, which is 20.0%. This is much worse than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills