Our unique analysis of the bills Johnston sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1996. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Johnston is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Johnston was the primary sponsor of 36 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2466 (103rd): Energy Policy and Conservation Act Amendments of 1994
- S. 1769 (103rd): A bill to make a technical correction, and for other purposes.
- S. 433 (103rd): A bill to authorize and direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain lands in Cameron Parish, Louisiana, and for other purposes.
- S. 983 (103rd): El Camino Real Para Los Texas Study Act of 1993
- S. 1439 (102nd): A bill to authorize and direct the Secrtary of Interior to convey certain lands in Livingston Parish, Louisiana.
- S. 258 (102nd): A bill to correct an error in the Solar, Wind, Waste, and Geothermal Power Production Incentives Act of 1990.
- S. 3156 (101st): A bill to correct a clerical error in Public Law 101-383.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Johnston sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (20%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (17%) Energy (13%) Environmental Protection (11%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Law (6%) Health (6%)
Some of Johnston’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2033 (104th): DOE Reports Elimination and Streamlining Act of 1996
- S. 2014 (104th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to acquire property ...
- S. 1874 (104th): Department of Energy Standardization Act of 1996
- S. 1852 (104th): Department of Energy Class Action Lawsuit Act
- S. 1627 (104th): A bill to designate the visitor center at Jean Lafitte National Historical ...
- S. 1526 (104th): Electricity Competition Act of 1996
- S. 1442 (104th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1973 to Oct 1996, Johnston missed 890 of 10,657 roll call votes, which is 8.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills