Read our 2018 Report Card for Katko.
Katko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Katko has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Katko sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Homeland Security
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Innovation
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Maritime Security
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Katko was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 46: Fort Ontario Study Act
- H.R. 5729: Transportation Worker Identification Credential Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 5730: Transportation Security Technology Innovation Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 3731 (115th): Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2018
- H.R. 3814: No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act
- H.R. 5338 (114th): Checkpoint Optimization and Efficiency Act of 2016
- H.R. 4698 (114th): Securing Aviation from Foreign Entry Points and Guarding Airports Through Enhanced Security Act of 2016
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Katko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (30%) Emergency Management (17%) Crime and Law Enforcement (16%) Health (13%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%) Taxation (6%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Education (5%)
Some of Katko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2672: NCAA Act
- H.R. 2590: DHS Overseas Personnel Enhancement Act of 2019
- H.R. 2431: Mental Health Professionals Workforce Shortage Loan Repayment Act of 2019
- H.R. 1975: Cybersecurity Advisory Committee Authorization Act of 2019
- H.R. 1859: Working Parents Flexibility Act of 2019
- H.R. 1824: Mary Jo Lawyer Spano Mesothelioma Patient Registry Act of 2019
- H.R. 1614: John S. McCain Opioid Addiction Prevention Act
From Jan 2015 to Jun 2019, Katko missed 78 of 2,902 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: