Read our 2020 Report Card for Katko.
Katko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Katko has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 30, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Katko sits on the following committees:
Katko was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5451 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 599 East Genesse Street in Fayetteville, New York, as the “George H. Bacel Post Office ...
- H.R. 2590 (116th): DHS Overseas Personnel Enhancement Act of 2019
- H.R. 46 (115th): Fort Ontario Study Act
- H.R. 5729 (115th): Transportation Worker Identification Credential Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 5730 (115th): Transportation Security Technology Innovation Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 3731 (115th): Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2018
- H.R. 3814 (115th): No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act
Does 12 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Katko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (22%) Transportation and Public Works (20%) Emergency Management (14%) Crime and Law Enforcement (13%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Education (6%)
Some of Katko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4828: To secure the international borders of the United States, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4769: To direct the Secretary of Defense to carry out a pilot program to ...
- H.R. 4566: Tick Identification Pilot Program Act of 2021
- H.R. 4459: To amend the Controlled Substances Act to clarify how controlled substance analogues that ...
- H.R. 4179: Improving Opportunities for New Americans Act of 2021
- H.R. 4094: One-Stop Pilot Program Act of 2021
- H.R. 3709: Preliminary Damage Assessment Improvement Act of 2021
From Jan 2015 to Jul 2021, Katko missed 98 of 3,743 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: