Read our 2017 Report Card for Katko.
Katko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Katko has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Katko sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Homeland Security
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Katko was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3731: Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2018
- H.R. 3814: No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act
- H.R. 5338 (114th): Checkpoint Optimization and Efficiency Act of 2016
- H.R. 4698 (114th): Securing Aviation from Foreign Entry Points and Guarding Airports Through Enhanced Security Act of 2016
- H.R. 719 (114th): Continuing Appropriations Act, 2016
- H.R. 720 (114th): Gerardo Hernandez Airport Security Act of 2015
- H.R. 2843 (114th): TSA PreCheck Expansion Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Katko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (36%) Emergency Management (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (16%) Health (9%) Taxation (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (5%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Some of Katko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5729: To restrict the department in which the Coast Guard is operating from implementing ...
- H.R. 5730: To require testing and evaluation of advanced transportation security screening technologies related to ...
- H.R. 5380: Securing Our Children Act of 2018
- H.R. 5081: Surface Transportation Security and Technology Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 4902: SRF WIN Act
- H.R. 4567: DHS Overseas Personnel Enhancement Act of 2017
- H.R. 4408: Opioid Addiction Prevention Act of 2017
|Katko’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 140: A bill to amend the White Mountain Apache Tribe Water Rights Quantification Act of 2010 to clarify the use of amounts in the WMAT Settlement Fund.
Jan 10, 2018. Passed 239/173.
The Rules Committee Print includes the text of S. 140, to amend the White Mountain Apache Tribe Water Rights Quantification Act of 2010 to clarify the use of amounts in the WMAT Settlement Fund, S. 249, a bill to provide that the pueblo of Santa ...
H.R. 511: Tribal Labor Sovereignty Act of 2015
Nov 17, 2015. Passed 249/177.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2577: Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016
Jun 9, 2015. Passed 216/210.
This bill is the Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2017, a yearly federal spending bill. The bill began as the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2016. However in a House vote on May 26, the ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
From Jan 2015 to May 2018, Katko missed 51 of 2,241 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: