Read our 2016 Report Card for Katko.
Our unique analysis of the bills Katko has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Katko is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
John Katko sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Homeland Security
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Katko was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5338 (114th): Checkpoint Optimization and Efficiency Act of 2016
- H.R. 4698 (114th): Securing Aviation from Foreign Entry Points and Guarding Airports Through Enhanced Security Act of 2016
- H.R. 719 (114th): Continuing Appropriations Act, 2016
- H.R. 720 (114th): Gerardo Hernandez Airport Security Act of 2015
- H.R. 2843 (114th): TSA PreCheck Expansion Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Katko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (37%) Crime and Law Enforcement (17%) Emergency Management (17%) Taxation (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Health (6%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%)
Some of Katko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3032: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for the ...
- H.R. 2851: SITSA Act
- H.R. 2533: Working Parents Flexibility Act of 2017
- H.R. 2169: Improving Fusion Centers’ Access to Information Act
- H.R. 2132: Traveler Redress Improvement Act of 2017
- H.R. 1563: Mary Jo Lawyer Spano Mesothelioma Patient Registry Act of 2017
- H.R. 1386: To direct the Secretary of Transportation to establish a pilot program to assess ...
|Katko’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5538: Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2017
Jul 14, 2016. Passed 231/196.
H.R. 511: Tribal Labor Sovereignty Act of 2015
Nov 17, 2015. Passed 249/177.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2577: Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016
Jun 9, 2015. Passed 216/210.
This bill is the Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2017, a yearly federal spending bill. The bill began as the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2016. However in a House vote on May 26, the ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
From Jan 2015 to Jun 2017, Katko missed 23 of 1,647 roll call votes, which is 1.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 3 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: