Katko is the representative for New York’s 24th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Katko is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Katko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Katko has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 21, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Katko was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5451 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 599 East Genesse Street in Fayetteville, New York, as the “George H. Bacel Post Office ...
- H.R. 46 (115th): Fort Ontario Study Act
- H.R. 5729 (115th): Transportation Worker Identification Credential Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 5730 (115th): Transportation Security Technology Innovation Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 3731 (115th): Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2018
- H.R. 3814 (115th): No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act
- H.R. 5338 (114th): Checkpoint Optimization and Efficiency Act of 2016
Does 11 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Katko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (24%) Crime and Law Enforcement (18%) Health (16%) Emergency Management (15%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Education (6%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Taxation (4%)
Some of Katko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8888 (116th): Secret Service Overtime Pay Extension Act
- H.R. 8540 (116th): Keeping Seniors Safe from COVID-19 Through Home Design Act of 2020
- H.R. 8490 (116th): Promoting Careers in Aviation for America’s Veterans Act of 2020
- H.R. 8223: Cyber Essentials Act
- H.R. 8046 (116th): Improving Opportunities for New Americans Act of 2020
- H.R. 8011 (116th): Cyber Navigators for Elections Act
- H.R. 7877: Lowering Drug Costs for Seniors Act of 2020
From Jan 2015 to Jan 2021, Katko missed 96 of 3,507 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: