Read our 2019 Report Card for Katko.
Katko is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Katko has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Katko sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Homeland Security
Transportation and Maritime Security subcommittees
- Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection, and Innovation subcommittee Ranking Member
House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management subcommittee Ranking Member
Katko was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 46 (115th): Fort Ontario Study Act
- H.R. 5729 (115th): Transportation Worker Identification Credential Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 5730 (115th): Transportation Security Technology Innovation Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 3731 (115th): Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2018
- H.R. 3814 (115th): No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act
- H.R. 5338 (114th): Checkpoint Optimization and Efficiency Act of 2016
- H.R. 4698 (114th): Securing Aviation from Foreign Entry Points and Guarding Airports Through Enhanced Security Act of 2016
Does 10 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Katko sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (26%) Crime and Law Enforcement (18%) Emergency Management (15%) Health (15%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Education (6%) Armed Forces and National Security (6%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Some of Katko’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8223: Cyber Essentials Act
- H.R. 8046: Improving Opportunities for New Americans Act of 2020
- H.R. 8011: Cyber Navigators for Elections Act
- H.R. 7877: Lowering Drug Costs for Seniors Act of 2020
- H.R. 7590: To establish in the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency of the Department of ...
- H.R. 7588: Strengthening the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Act of 2020
- H.R. 7589: Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Director and Assistant Directors Act
From Jan 2015 to Sep 2020, Katko missed 93 of 3,431 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: