Kline was the representative for Minnesota’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2003 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Kline.
Kline is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kline sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Kline was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1911 (113th): Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act of 2013
- H.R. 4045 (112th): To modify the Department of Defense Program Guidance relating to the award of Post-Deployment/Mobilization Respite Absence administrative absence days to members of the reserve components to exempt ...
- H.R. 6151 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 216 Oak Street in Farmington, Minnesota, as the “Hamilton H. Judson Post Office”.
- H.R. 3989 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 37598 Goodhue Avenue in Dennison, Minnesota, as the “Albert H. Quie Post Office.”
- H.R. 2132 (109th): To extend the waiver authority of the Secretary of Education with respect to student financial assistance during a war or other military operation or national emergency.
- H.R. 1412 (108th): Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act of 2003
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kline sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Kline’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3549 (114th): VA Billing Accountability Act
- H.R. 3459 (114th): Protecting Local Business Opportunity Act
- H.R. 1768 (114th): Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act
- H.R. 1500 (114th): To ensure that certain TRICARE program beneficiaries may enroll in TRICARE Prime ...
- H.R. 1189 (114th): Preserving Employee Wellness Programs Act
- H.R. 843 (114th): Western Great Lakes Wolf Management Act of 2015
- H.R. 844 (114th): To require a plan approved by the Surface Transportation Board for the ...
|Kline’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 2040: Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 348/77.
After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, a federal commission was created to fact-find as much information as possible about the planning, funding, and carrying-out of the attacks. The final report ran more than 500 pages, but much intrigue has centered around 28 pages redacted ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 266/167.
This vote turned this bill into the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015, by replacing the text of the bill in whole. H.R. 1314 was previously the Trade Act of 2015.
H.R. 719: Continuing Appropriations Act, 2016
Sep 30, 2015. Passed 277/151.
This was a vote to agree to the provisions to keep the government funded through December 11, 2015 that the Senate had added in a previous vote. With this vote, the House approved the Senate's changes to the bill, with the government funding provisions, sending ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 8 (112th): American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
Jan 1, 2013. Passed 257/167.
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (Pub.L. 112–240, H.R. 8, 126 Stat. 2313, enacted January 2, 2013) was passed by the United States Congress on January 1, 2013, and was signed into law by US President Barack Obama the next day. The Act centers ...
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.R. 2749 (111th): Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009
Jul 30, 2009. Passed 283/142.
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2016, Kline missed 68 of 10,101 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: