Kline was the representative for Minnesota’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2003 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Kline.
Kline is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kline sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Kline was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1911 (113th): Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act of 2013
- H.R. 4045 (112th): To modify the Department of Defense Program Guidance relating to the award of Post-Deployment/Mobilization Respite Absence administrative absence days to members of the reserve components to exempt ...
- H.R. 6151 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 216 Oak Street in Farmington, Minnesota, as the “Hamilton H. Judson Post Office”.
- H.R. 3989 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 37598 Goodhue Avenue in Dennison, Minnesota, as the “Albert H. Quie Post Office.”
- H.R. 2132 (109th): To extend the waiver authority of the Secretary of Education with respect to student financial assistance during a war or other military operation or national emergency.
- H.R. 1412 (108th): Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act of 2003
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kline sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Kline’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3549 (114th): VA Billing Accountability Act
- H.R. 3459 (114th): Protecting Local Business Opportunity Act
- H.R. 1768 (114th): Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act
- H.R. 1500 (114th): To ensure that certain TRICARE program beneficiaries may enroll in TRICARE Prime ...
- H.R. 1189 (114th): Preserving Employee Wellness Programs Act
- H.R. 843 (114th): Western Great Lakes Wolf Management Act of 2015
- H.R. 844 (114th): To require a plan approved by the Surface Transportation Board for the ...
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2016, Kline missed 68 of 10,101 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: