Our unique analysis of the bills LaFalce sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). LaFalce is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
LaFalce was the primary sponsor of 18 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5417 (106th): McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- H.R. 4322 (103rd): To amend the Small Business Act to increase the authorization for the development company program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4297 (103rd): Small Business Administration Amendments of 1994
- H.R. 4111 (102nd): Small Business Credit and Business Opportunity Enhancement Act of 1992
- H.R. 2629 (102nd): Women’s Business Development Act of 1991
- H.R. 4793 (101st): Small Business Administration Reauthorization and Amendments Act of 1990
- H.R. 4773 (101st): White House Conference on Small Business Authorization Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
LaFalce sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (20%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Commerce (16%) Law (13%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%) Social Welfare (6%)
Some of LaFalce’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5621 (107th): Federal Credit Union Services Expansion Act of 2002
- H.R. 5507 (107th): Truth in Lending Inflation Adjustment Act
- H.R. 5288 (107th): Commuter Students From Border Nations Act of 2002
- H.R. 5070 (107th): Public Company Accounting Reform and Investor Protection Act of 2002
- H.R. 4817 (107th): Elderly Housing Quality Improvement Act of 2002
- H.R. 4818 (107th): Mortgage Loan Consumer Protection Act
- H.R. 4083 (107th): Corporate Responsibility Act of 2002
From Jan 1975 to Nov 2002, LaFalce missed 890 of 15,329 roll call votes, which is 5.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills