Read our 2017 Report Card for Lewis.
Lewis is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lewis has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Lewis sits on the following committees:
Lewis was the primary sponsor of 18 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 267: Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Park Act of 2017
- H.R. 5067 (114th): Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crimes Reauthorization Act of 2016
- H.R. 4488 (113th): Gold Medal Technical Corrections Act of 2014
- H.R. 3899 (112th): To provide for rollover treatment to traditional IRAs of amounts received in airline carrier bankruptcy.
- H.R. 4994 (111th): Medicare and Medicaid Extenders Act of 2010
- H.R. 4275 (111th): To designate the annex building under construction for the Elbert P. Tuttle United States Court of Appeals Building in Atlanta, Georgia, as the “John C. Godbold Federal ...
- H.R. 2040 (110th): Civil Rights Act of 1964 Commemorative Coin Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lewis sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Lewis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 641: Recognizing the 150th Anniversary of Morehouse College and its contributions to the United ...
- H.R. 4353: Missed Opportunities in Public Health and Biomedical Research Act of 2017
- H.R. 4350: Missed Opportunities in Jobs Act
- H.R. 4358: Missed Opportunities in Low Income Housing Act of 2017
- H.R. 4349: Missed Opportunities in Student Debt and Possibilities Act of 2017
- H.R. 4355: Missed Opportunities in Transportation Act of 2017
- H.R. 4357: Missed Opportunities in Veterans Affairs Act of 2017
|Lewis’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 99: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2017, and for other purposes.
Apr 28, 2017. Passed 382/30.
This bill extended federal government funding through May 5, 2017. It was enacted on the day funding was to end. The federal government is currently funded through "continuing appropriations" legislation that maintains government spending levels as they were for arbitrary periods of time. Traditionally, though ...
H.R. 4127: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Dec 1, 2015. Passed 364/58.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 3, 2014. Passed 378/46.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
From Jan 1987 to Feb 2018, Lewis missed 1,331 of 19,518 roll call votes, which is 6.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills