McHugh, a Republican, was the representative for New York's 23rd congressional district from 2003 to 2009.
He was previously the representative for New York's 24th congressional district (1993-2002).
McHugh is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McHugh sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
McHugh was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2090 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 431 State Street in Ogdensburg, New York, as the “Frederic Remington Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4437 (106th): Semipostal Authorization Act
- H.R. 848 (105th): To extend the deadline under the Federal Power Act applicable to the construction of the AuSable Hydroelectric Project in New York, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McHugh sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of McHugh’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2494 (111th): New York/New Jersey High-Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Expansion Act of 2009
- H.R. 2090 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 1841 (111th): Acid Rain and Mercury Control Act
- H.Res. 300 (111th): Congratulating Camp Dudley YMCA of Westport, New York, on the occasion of ...
- H.R. 1660 (111th): Dairy and Sheep H-2A Visa Enhancement Act
- H.R. 1509 (111th): Home Office Deduction Simplification Act
- H.R. 1399 (111th): Maple Tapping Access Program Act
|McHugh’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 7321 (110th): Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act
Dec 10, 2008. Passed 237/170.
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Sep 2009, McHugh missed 299 of 10,889 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 2009. ProPublica has tracked 14 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: