Our unique analysis of the bills McKernan sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McKernan is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McKernan was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 60 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning September 1, 1985, as “National School-Age Child Care Awareness Week”.
- H.J.Res. 544 (98th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning September 2, 1984, as “National School-Age Child Care Awareness Week”.
- H.R. 5350 (98th): A bill to designate a Federal building in Augusta, Maine, as the “Edmund S. Muskie Federal Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McKernan sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (23%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (13%) Labor and Employment (13%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Taxation (6%) Education (6%)
Some of McKernan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5630 (99th): A bill amending title 46, United States Code, to permit vessels owned ...
- H.R. 4590 (99th): A bill relating to certain foreign labor subsidies for which relief may ...
- H.R. 3988 (99th): A bill to enhance the enforcement of laws conserving American lobster.
- H.R. 3856 (99th): Recreational Marine Craft Act of 1985
- H.R. 3830 (99th): A bill to provide for a Samantha Smith Memorial Exchange and Scholarship ...
- H.R. 3798 (99th): A bill to authorize the establishment of a Merchant Ship Revolving Fund, ...
- H.R. 3226 (99th): A bill for the relief of Guy R. Allen.
From Jan 1983 to Oct 1986, McKernan missed 41 of 1,796 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is better than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills