Mica was the representative for Florida’s 7th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Mica.
Mica is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Mica sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Mica was the primary sponsor of 26 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5341 (114th): To amend title 5, United States Code, to provide for recalculation of basic annuity benefits for certain air traffic controllers, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4056 (114th): To direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to convey to the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs all right, title, and interest of the United States to the ...
- H.R. 4348 (112th): MAP-21
- H.R. 6064 (112th): Temporary Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2012
- H.R. 6058 (112th): Temporary Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2012
- H.R. 6057 (112th): Temporary Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2012
- H.R. 4097 (112th): John F. Kennedy Center Reauthorization Act of 2012
Does 26 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Mica sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Mica’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5341 (114th): To amend title 5, United States Code, to provide for recalculation of ...
- H.R. 4056 (114th): To direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to convey to the Florida ...
- H.R. 3149 (114th): Baggage Fee Fairness Act of 2015
- H.R. 1835 (114th): Air Traffic Controller Reform and Employee Stock Ownership Act of 2015
- H.R. 1948 (113th): Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act of 2013
- H.R. 1592 (113th): To provide for the conveyance of the David W. Dyer Federal Building ...
- H.R. 6430 (112th): Public Buildings Reform Act of 2012
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2016, Mica missed 225 of 15,960 roll call votes, which is 1.4%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: