Moolenaar is the representative for Michigan’s 4th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Moolenaar is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Moolenaar.
Moolenaar is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Moolenaar has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 11, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Moolenaar sits on the following committees:
Moolenaar was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 6116 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 362 North Ross Street in Beaverton, Michigan, as the “Colonel Alfred Asch Post Office”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Moolenaar sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Moolenaar’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3349: To increase for calendar years 2020 and 2021 the amount of the Federal ...
- H.Res. 383: Recognizing the 50th anniversary of the National Association of Chemical Distributors.
- H.R. 1362: BOOST Act
- H.Res. 52: Expressing support for the designation of the week of January 24 through January ...
- H.R. 4530 (116th): Native American Health Savings Improvement Act
- H.Con.Res. 61 (116th): Supporting the designation of the week of September 11 to September 17 ...
- H.Res. 471 (116th): Expressing support for the designation of 2019 as the “International Year of ...
From Jan 2015 to May 2021, Moolenaar missed 23 of 3,645 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: