Peterson was the representative for Pennsylvania’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1997 to 2008.
Peterson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Peterson sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Peterson was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Peterson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (21%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Law (12%) Commerce (12%) Energy (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Transportation and Public Works (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Peterson recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 6709 (110th): National Conservation, Environment, and Energy Independence Act
- H.Con.Res. 402 (110th): Recognizing the historical significance of the discovery of oil and the birth …
- H.R. 5149 (110th): To suspend temporarily the duty on dry adhesive copolyamide pellets.
- H.R. 4988 (110th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on Orgasol.
- H.R. 4989 (110th): To suspend temporarily the duty on stainless steel single piece exhaust gas …
- H.R. 3510 (110th): To prohibit the imposition and collection of tolls on certain highways constructed …
- H.R. 2784 (110th): National Environment and Energy Development Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2008, Peterson missed 789 of 7,708 roll call votes, which is 10.2%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: