Rutherford is the representative for Florida’s 4th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. Rutherford is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Rutherford.
Rutherford is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rutherford has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 2, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Rutherford sits on the following committees:
Rutherford was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2948 (116th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in St. Augustine, Florida, as the “Leo C. Chase Jr. Department of Veterans Affairs Clinic”.
- H.R. 1599 (116th): Veterans Armed for Success Act
- H.R. 4132 (115th): Veterans Affairs Physician Recruitment Act of 2017
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rutherford sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (30%) Crime and Law Enforcement (22%) Energy (13%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Transportation and Public Works (9%) Immigration (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%)
Some of Rutherford’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5707: PROTECT Florida Act
- H.R. 4487: SAVE North Atlantic Right Whales Act of 2021
- H.R. 4296: Freedom to Fly Act
- H.Res. 463: Expressing support for the designation of the week of June 6 through June …
- H.R. 3172: HELPER Act of 2021
- H.R. 3079: Protect and Serve Act of 2021
- H.R. 2107: Nation’s Oldest Port National Heritage Area Act
From Jan 2017 to Dec 2021, Rutherford missed 112 of 2,565 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: