Sarbanes is the representative for Maryland’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2007. Sarbanes is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Sarbanes.
Sarbanes is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sarbanes has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 27, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Sarbanes sits on the following committees:
Sarbanes was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6263 (116th): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to waive cost sharing under the Medicare program for certain visits relating to testing for COVID-19.
- H.R. 1722 (111th): Telework Enhancement Act of 2010
- H.R. 4322 (111th): National Foundation on Physical Fitness and Sports Establishment Act
- H.R. 3218 (110th): To designate a portion of Interstate Route 395 located in Baltimore, Maryland, as “Cal Ripken Way”.
- H.R. 1388 (110th): Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sarbanes sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Sarbanes’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4064: Preventing Election Subversion Act of 2021
- H.R. 3540: Chesapeake Bay Science, Education, and Ecosystem Enhancement Act of 2021
- H.R. 2060: Federal Building Clean Jobs Act of 2021
- H.R. 2059: Federal Firefighter Flexibility and Fairness Act
- H.R. 1: For the People Act of 2021
- H.R. 6263 (116th): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to waive cost ...
- H.R. 6037 (116th): Fair Access to Legal Counsel Act of 2020
From Jan 2007 to Jul 2021, Sarbanes missed 123 of 10,073 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: