Read our 2018 Report Card for Sarbanes.
Sarbanes is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Sarbanes has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to May 24, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
John Sarbanes sits on the following committees:
Sarbanes was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1722 (111th): Telework Enhancement Act of 2010
- H.R. 4322 (111th): National Foundation on Physical Fitness and Sports Establishment Act
- H.R. 3218 (110th): To designate a portion of Interstate Route 395 located in Baltimore, Maryland, as “Cal Ripken Way”.
- H.R. 1388 (110th): Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sarbanes sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Sarbanes’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2441: What You Can Do For Your Country Act
- H.R. 2427: Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network Reauthorization Act of 2019
- H.R. 2075: School-Based Health Centers Reauthorization Act of 2019
- H.R. 1: For the People Act of 2019
- H.R. 6533: CLEAN Politics Act of 2018
- H.R. 6478: Biosimilars Competition Act of 2018
- H.Res. 975 (115th): By the People Resolution
From Jan 2007 to May 2019, Sarbanes missed 119 of 9,107 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: