Seiberling was the representative for Ohio’s 14th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1971 to 1986.
Seiberling is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Seiberling sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Seiberling was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 626 (99th): Palau Compact of Free Association Act
- H.R. 897 (99th): A bill to recognize the Army and Navy Union of the United States of America.
- H.R. 1373 (99th): A bill to designate the wilderness in the Point Reyes National Seashore in California as the Phillip Burton Wilderness.
- H.R. 1213 (98th): Public Lands and National Parks Act of 1983
- H.R. 5496 (96th): National Historic Preservation Act Amendments of 1980
- H.R. 10793 (94th): An Act for the relief of Afaf Yassine and her children, Najla Yassine, Walid Yassine, Mona Yassine, and Maher Yassine.
- H.R. 7077 (93rd): An Act to provide for the establishment of the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Seiberling sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (21%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (19%) Labor and Employment (17%) Environmental Protection (13%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Social Welfare (7%) International Affairs (7%)
Some of Seiberling’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5687 (99th): A bill to amend title 11 of the United States Code to ...
- H.Con.Res. 383 (99th): A concurrent resolution directing the Clerk of the House of Representatives to ...
- H.R. 5293 (99th): Freedom From Vertical Price Fixing Act of 1986
- H.R. 5256 (99th): A bill to amend the Act of April 9, 1924 authorizing the ...
- H.Res. 477 (99th): A resolution to amend the Rules of the House of Representatives to ...
- H.R. 4878 (99th): A bill to require the Secretary of the Interior to submit to ...
- H.R. 4814 (99th): Federal Land Exchange Facilitation Act of 1986
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1986, Seiberling missed 446 of 8,424 roll call votes, which is 5.3%. This is on par with the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills